Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I had a VERY bad hair (block) day

Today just wasn't my day. Yesterday I had cut to size and bored 8 courses of block to fit between the closet window and the utility room window... I thought I'd get 'em glued lickity split... but NOOOOOOO! I had to tear out what I had done THREE times before I was happy with it... even then I'm fighting a plumb problem again like I did down at the west end of this wall near the front door. To say the least I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Here's the end result of 6+ hours of work... pitiful... but I'm learning to "dance in the rain" so the good news is that I'm on the home stretch with laying the block... and it's still going to be a VERY, VERY fine house: I like you to meet Alexis' yellow squash plant... complete with blossoms... how I love yellow squash!... the white specks are the perlite/vermiculite in the "dirt" she mixed up yesterday in the bed of her pickup. It makes the dirt mixture "fluffy" and able to hold moisture better:
This is a shot of one of our "earth boxes" with the first ripening tomato (bell peppers in the background):
I REALLY am loving building this house but physically it's "KILLING" me. I'm beginning to think that being 61 years old is too old to build a house by yourself. Every afternoon after work Alexis puts me in the bed of her pickup (in a heap) and drives me back across the road to our duplex and deposits me (keer-plunk) in the bath tub. Then it's supper and to bed and repeat... because it's necessary (well, it happens something like that anyway... grin!).

No comments: