Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Time to build and pour the bond beam

This morning I tied the lower course of steel (rebar) on the north wall bond beam (visible just above the top course of block in this picture). I tied this horizontal steel to the bent over ends of the vertical rebar coming out of the poured cores. 8 inch "J" bolts get tied to this lower horizontal rebar and the top course of rebar will also be tied to these bolts. The threads of the "J" bolts stick out of the concrete beam and the 2" X 8" pressure treated wooden top plate gets bolted to them. Then the trusses are affixed to this wooden plate and we're off to the (roof) races.
I'm happy to report that I laid the last 8" X 8" X 24" AAC block today in the 12th course of the east wall. Hallelujah! I'll fill the remaining 6 cores with concrete tomorrow and tie the horizontal steel on the top of that wall. If there is time left in the day, I'll begin building the side walls of the bond beam. The difficulty of building the bond beam is still very much an unknown quantity. Nevertheless, here's a picture of the 12th course in the east wall finally being finished! You and I both were wondering if I'd EVER get these blocks laid, huh!? Here my grandson, Ethan, is doing a joyous "victory bounce" for me to celebrate the last AAC block being laid.

No comments: