Monday, July 21, 2008

Wall demolition and frustration

Here's a picture of the rubble following the demolition of the first 4' of the wall just west of the front door (I hadn't laid the blocks to a string - doh! - so the wall was significantly out of plumb and had to come out so the lintel over the door would line up). As you can see the block broke but the adhesive held when the wall was toppled. The glue, the poured cores & the bond beam are going to build a "very, very fine house."
After I gingerly tore out the 4' of wall I had to prepare the 1st course for the 2nd course to be laid on top of it. This was NOT easy as the glue does not scrape off easily with the rasp and I labored for over an hour trying to get the surface level. Unfortunately I was a little off in the middle and by the time I got the 4th course laid (see below) my error was magnified and it was out of level again (with a slight hump in the middle). I'll have to do more scraping tomorrow to level it out. Frustrating... KNOW that I'll be glad when these blocks are laid and the bond beam is poured. It'll be on to nailing nails and raising the roof! My Granddaddy was in the Navy... that's why I like to be surrounded by water. BUBBLES!? WHAT BUBBLES!?

No comments: