Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Less than 100 blocks to lay

I roughly figured out that I have less than 100 blocks to lay... Hallelujah!... one more course on the west wall + the bond beam... one more course to glue on the east wall + bond beam... 2 more courses on the front (north) wall + the bond beam. In this picture I am finishing up the 11th course on the west wall... Alexis and I are hardcore & proud Southerners so we began flying the Leonidas Polk flag today. He was a Confederate General (known as "the fighting Bishop"), the Episcopal Bishop of Louisiana (back when Episcopalians knew Jesus) and a founder of the University of the South (1860) which our property borders on the east.
This is a long shot from the southeast corner of the house. I'm finishing out the top of the 11th course by rasping the rough spots smooth. Remember the south wall will be "stick built" out of 2" X 6"s because it will mostly be windows for the passive solar design I came up with. A block wall would just be too much for me to handle with the massive lintels that would be needed to bridge the openings.

No comments: