Thursday, July 10, 2008

We made the best of a rainy day...

I was almost out of "glue" (adhesive) for my block laying and it looked like rain so Alexis and I drove to the AAC block place in Ringgold, GA (just south of Chattanooga). We bought some more adhesive and some replacement tools (that I had worn out) and used SafeCrete's band saw to cut some blocks anticipating the need to create a bond beam in the very near future. Here you can see me bringing in a pallet of blocks to cut.This is a picture of me using the commercial band saw to "slice" the blocks into the 2" side walls for my bond beam above the 12th course of solid blocks (the "Joseph Mansfield" course). I'll put rebar in the middle and pour the center cavity that has been created with concrete to form the beam that ties the building together from top to bottom (from the footing through the stem wall, slab and blocks that have already been laid... I'll also put "J" bolts in the bond beam to bolt down the top plate... we'll nail the trusses to this wooden plate).
Alexis carefully stacked the "slices" in the bed of her pickup. We also cut the 2" X 4" AAC trim for the windows and door on the front of the house. With the sliced blocks (approx 1000 lbs.) and ten 55# bags of adhesive on the tailgate (it was a full load for an F-150 pick-em-up-truck!) we drove back to Sewanee having turned a rainy lemon day into lemonade.

No comments: