Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Just 4 more courses...

I suspect you're tiring of reading about my painfully slow block laying. I'm tired of reporting about my painfully slow block laying! I can hardly wait to be done with the frustration and back breaking work. In this picture you can see I'm 2/3s finished with the north wall (I'll trim the jagged end of this wall when I put the door frame in). The main thing left to do is pour the bond beam and tie it to the bored cores I drilled 4' on center. Deferring to my Jr. High best friend, Louis Camerio, who has built hundreds if not thousands of houses as a developer in Atlanta, I rebuilt my window frames out of 2 X 6s as he suggested. I can see that the bigger lumber will make the trimming much easier both inside and outside. I'm still having fits with plumb/level issues but it's "gonna be alright" to quote one of my favorites from the 60s Gerry and the Pacemakers.
Here is Alexis leaning out her kitchen window like Molly Goldberg, circa 1949 - 1956. "Oy! Get some makeup on that woman!" (That's my comment! - Alexis)

Here is the job site's BIG DOG... my 90 pound, 87 year old mother-in-law, Ruth ... she loves to watch me work... it's such a novel concept.I spoke with my Mennonite truss maker this morning (Silas Nolt... doesn't that sound like the name of a Mennonite truss builder!?)... he's delivering the roof trusses tomorrow morning at 9 AM. I'll be in need of my own truss by the time I get this block laid!

No comments: