Friday, July 11, 2008

Learning to pour the 3" cores...

Three of the four front windows were positioned over my 3" bored cores. Today I decided to learn the tricks associated with pouring these full of concrete (18" - 31" depth). I knew that a stiff mixture wouldn't fall to the bottom of the hole so I mixed my first batch really WET... WRONG move... all the gravel sank to the bottom of my mixing bucket with essentially gray water on top... obviously too much water. I remixed a batch with less water and the loose concrete mixture seemed to fall to the bottom of the hole as I poured it in the 3" hole with the rebar. This is a picture of one of the window sills after I poured the core and laid the last sill block on top. The window buck will sit 2" from the edge and will be wrapped with AAC 2" X 4" trim.
Here I am at the end of the day looking out the kitchen window with a deceiving smile on my face... I'm bushed!
Here's a picture of my 7 month old, look-a-like grandson, Ethan Dail (pronounced "Dale")... except for his beautiful mop of hair of course. Ethan is thinking, "my Granddaddy loves me... he loves me not... NAAAAH... MY GRANDDADDY JUST PLAIN LOVES ME!

No comments: