Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A wonderful change of pace...

Yesterday I started making preparations to build the wooden south wall starting Monday. I sawed off the short SE wall and made sure it was plumb (see below). Today I got side tracked buying some material at a salvage yard I discovered on Opossum Paw Road in Beechgrove, Tennessee. It took most of the day to find the owner... he's pretty much a free spirit. The trip was worth it because of today's and future bargains.I wasn't happy with the way the window frames were attached to the AAC block openings so I began redoing them using some stuff called "sill seal." Sill seal is a heavy duty corrugated foam which will seal the space between the pressure treated wood and the concrete block. Then to be doubly sure there is no unwanted air infiltration, I will run a bead of caulk in the the gap between the wood frame and the block. I'll eventually wrap the edge with AAC 2" X 4" trim which will get stuccoed. This is me ratcheting down one of the fasteners that holds the wood frame tight against the block (the sill seal is between the wood and the block). The actual window will be screwed into this opening.Here's my grandson, Ethan looking very disappointed. He was counting on getting to help me lay some AAC blocks the summer between his junior and senior year in high school (based on the speed with which his granddaddy was laying block). He's 8 months old in this picture... don't you agree he's a beautiful boy!?

No comments: