Friday, August 29, 2008

Tuesday, 7 AM... the trusses go up!

Yesterday I kept running out of gas between getting over my cold and struggling (shuffling around like an old man) with my Plantar fasciitis so I didn't get nearly as much done as I had hoped. Here is one of the outside knee wall trusses that I was able to cover with OSB and HardiPlanks. I had to leave the center top uncovered so the crane will have something to hook to. I nailed the underside of the HardiPlank up because it didn't have a finish and would be easier to stucco. I haven't figured out how to adjust my Paslode nail gun so some of the nails were driven too deep. I hope to borrow David Musser's air driven stapler and refasten the HardiPlank tomorrow while covering the other knee wall truss.
It was late in the day so the lighting wasn't very good for this picture but this is a shot of the top plate that I laid out with 2" X 6" blocks next to where each truss will be set (we'll nail through the trusses into these blocks rather than holding them down with just an angled "toe nail" or two):I scheduled the crane for early Tuesday morning so - HOPEFULLY - by noon we'll have the trusses set and ready for the OSB sheeting to be nailed on. Tar paper will cover the OSB and then the "Hawaiian blue" tin will be screwed down on top of that. EXCITING... a major milestone is just around the corner!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Exciting progress! It's really starting to look like a house :)