Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Bond beam and plantar fascitis

I made good progress today in setting the side walls for the bond beam (I also tied the remaining steel and "J" bolts). Before I physically ran out of gas, I had laid all but 12 of the 2" X 4" X 24" "slices. I should be able to get those laid early tomorrow. Here's all that is left:
Following the laying of the last 12 "slices," I have to rasp down the top of the slices to the same level height on all three walls in preparation to pour the wet concrete in the cavity. I knew I could find level with a string and a line level but I was DREADING the thought of doing it. Happily, I remembered a gadget I saw about a month ago at Home Depot that will make the leveling job dramatically easier... especially since I'm by myself. It was only $25 and is called a "Zircon Electronic Water Level." Imagine a water hose that is bent in the shape of a "U"... if it is filled with water, the water at both ends stays perfectly the same height. Using this principle and some simple electronics that "BEEP" at level, I just hang the gadget on the wall at the desired height and take the end of the clear hose (filled with colored water) and mark level every few feet as I move around the wall (inside & out). I had figured using a line level (by myself) would take me all day... maybe two. With this water level the job should be accomplished in a few hours Here's another view of the 15 or so feet I have left to lay.I am sorry to report that going up and down the ladder to get on & off the scaffolding has given me "plantar fascitis" in my left heel (diagnosed by Dr. Alexis). It is very painful and I end up shuffling around the job site all day because of it. Unfortunately, the healing process can take more than 6 months. In the meantime it hurts... soaking in Epsom salts helps, to wit (note my white, pasty ankles under my Beach Boy-esque tanned right leg):
One of the benefits to working outside while laying this AAC block has been MEGA doses of vitamin D-3 and a BEAUTIFUL tan... BEST tan I've had in 30 years!

No comments: