Monday, May 19, 2008

A couple of setbacks...

Here is a picture of my toolbox with ALL my block laying stuff inside... skillsaw, reciprocating saw, brand NEW drill, belt sander, grinder, 2 trowels, 3" drill bit, block rasp, new tool bag with assorted hand tools, etc., etc... NO WAIT that is a shot of where my toolbox was AFTER it was STOLEN. Bummer!... everything spirited away in the dark of night with Baxter, Boone & Mosby in a kennel 20 feet away. Should I fire our pooches!? Like a Mennonite friend said when someone didn't pay him for a job, "if he can live with it... I can live without it."
On Thursday of last week I started having a tooth ache and went in Friday for a root canal which ended up being an extraction as they couldn't save the tooth (you oughta see my Arkansas smile!). I was in bed the rest of the day feeling kinda rough so with rain during the first part of the week I got very few blocks laid last week... then came the theft.
Having replaced some of the essential tools yesterday I was able to get back after it today and got the second course laid/glued on the east wall. I also prepared the blocks on the west wall for gluing tomorrow if I don't get rained out. My block laying is not pretty but very solid... and I am getting faster... here's a shot of the east wall having been glued today.
The Reverend Franklin Sanders, a dear friend & Alexis' distant cousin, wrote a novel 20+ years ago where he told of trespassers ignoring the traditional "POSTED, Keep Out" signs. The problem was solved when the signs were replaced with the warning: "EXTREME Danger Beyond This Point." What danger, you ask? Each potential trespasser/thief/vandal conjured up their own worst fear (rabid dogs, quick sand, nuclear waste, HIV syringes, crazed Amazon warriors with PMS... each villain's guilty mind customized their own poison?). The thieving in the novel stopped. My "EXTREME Danger" sign goes up tomorrow.

No comments: