Friday, November 21, 2008

The wood stove is in

Well one of the things that I accomplished since my last posting on Tuesday is the (temporary) installation of our Tempwood wood stove. When I got the fire roaring, Mosby thought he had died and gone to doggie heaven. When we lived at Wonder Cave, during the winter he was a permanent fixture in front of the stove doing his impersonation of the RCA dog inches from the fire box. Here is the stove (sans cast iron lid... we couldn't find it although Alexis is sure it's in the storage building) with a stainless steel pan doing duty as the lid. The house heated up very quickly in spite of the fact that the doggie door (picture, below) and the still-to-be-closed 1' X 1' opening for the water pipes to the tankless water heater were letting in tons of cold air (it was in the 30s outside). The concrete floor hasn't heated up yet from the stove's heat so I put down some scrap OSB for the boys to lie on. That's my buddy Baxter next to me:
This is the make shift doggie door I nailed over the back door to prevent some of Franklin County's cold air from from pouring into the house. I've "invented" a semi-keep-the-cold-air-out flap which I will install tomorrow (Mosby is in the foreground). Obviously when we move in the OSB over the door opening will come down and we'll use the door again. This set up lets the boys go outside at will.
Here's another shot of the lid-less wood stove with yours truly watching Boone groom his little brother Mosby.
And here's Mosby in his basket ready for bed:

No comments: