Thursday, April 17, 2008

The slab is poured!

We got the slab poured today... 21 yards of 3,500#, fiber glass reinforced concrete... Steve Franklin and his crew (John & Robbie) did a really nice job for a very reasonable price... thanks, Steve! Meanwhile, David Musser and Shane Pickett almost got the floor built for our 16' X 20' storage building. I am recycling my concrete forms so I'm getting a lot of storage area for a very reasonable amount. David and Shane also did a really nice job too. Thanks!

Here is Steve Franklin directing the flow of concrete from the first truck. Unfortunately, the weight of the concrete truck crushed my water line and Terry Stephens has to come back on Friday with his backhoe to dig up the line so we can repair it... stuff happens:

This is John Watson on the slab with the paddle machine doing the final finishing. I wanted a slick finish which I will score with a concrete saw tomorrow to look like 3' X 3' tiles. Sometime before we move in I'll stain the concrete to look like leather:
Here David Musser and Shane Pickett are building the floor of my 16' X 20' storage building reusing the inside forms from the stem wall pour for the floor (it doesn't look level but it is). We'll strip off the outside forms on the slab tomorrow and they will be stood up and used for the walls in the building. David Musser has already built the roof trusses and I found the perfect length of used tin for the roof on CraigsList for less than half of retail. Having this new storage available will allow me to close out my other two storage buildings in Monteagle for a savings of almost $150/month.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would suppose that had you started building your house on the mountain before the library existed then you might have reason to complain about how it sits on the land. However, you didn't. You came, you saw you bought and are building with the full knowledge that the library is what it is. You don't move next to an airport and expect the planes to stop flying. do you/ So get over it. And ... yes the colourful statue is a bit much and I hope that the owner of the building will re-do the patina. there was a clause in the contract that the colour only last until Sir John died or five years, whichever came first. After that it would be sand blasted and a new patina of my choice would be applied. I am sorry that my work makes you so unhappy.
truly
Hugh Russel
Sculptor