Saturday, April 12, 2008

Plumbing at 7:00 AM on Saturday morning...ugh!

I wouldn't have made a good tradesman... Howell King, my plumber, told his helper (ME) to meet him at the job site at 7:00 AM... SEVEN AM!... I am NOT a morning kinda guy... ugh! He told me he cut me some slack because he usually starts at 6 o'clock... that's O-dark-thirty to me... the middle of the night for heavens sake... I'm usually checking my eyelids for holes at 6 in the morning. Nevertheless, we got busy and got all the drains in the gravel by noon then realized we had laid part of it out wrong. Instead of a utility room and half bath we were going to have a VERY large pantry with no place for a washer/dryer or toilet/vanity. Fortunately, Howell having been a plumber for 35+ years scratched his head and in less than an hour we had the utility room plumbed properly. Howell's a good old boy with a GREAT sense of humor so he didn't mind my joke about how easy plumbing is now with the new plastic pipe that you glue together. To be a master plumber all you have to know are 5 basics: 1) hot's on the left, 2) cold's on the right, 3) water (%#@&) flows downhill, 4) payday's on Friday and 5) you need to stop biting your finger nails. After the drains were in and double checked, we dug under the footer and brought the water in to the house. Since I'm running all my other water lines in the attic, we were finished in less than an hour. The AMAZING thing was Howell's incredibly low charge for labor ($231)... $231 added to the material that David Musser got me at wholesale and I had my rough-in plumbing completed for less than $500... the other two bids I got for the same amount of work with materials were $2,500 and $1,800... WHAT A BLESSING and a BARGAIN! Thank you Howell!

This is my impersonation of an Oklahoma Department of Transportation worker

Laying out the plumbing is much like putting a jig-saw puzzle together (Howell & me)

No comments: