Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm so thankful for friends

We didn't get much work done on-site today because David Musser & Shane Pickett were working another job and I was still afflicted with my ankle gout. All I was able to accomplish was to drive to Lowes and buy the siding for our storage building. I'm making the south wall of the (16' X 20') storage building into a green house of sorts so Alexis can grow vegetables most of the year. To that end 12' of that wall will be clear corrugated plastic and I'll install a substantial shelf or 2 to double the area for her plants. We're also considering making the back corner into a chicken coup so we can produce our own eggs. We're still learning about chickens so "these plans haven't come home to roost."

The best thing that happened today was that I received an email from my close friend (Tulsa) Craig Buis who paints murals in high dollar homes and custom stains concrete for a living. Craig advised me not to cut the concrete to look like tiles but to use the system he uses to stain the floor. He explained the step-by-step system of blending/applying the stains to me over the phone tonight. Not only will the finished floor knock your eyes out but it will save me hundreds of dollars in concrete sawing plus savings using his recommended brand instead of the one I spoke of in an earlier post. I'm excited about the possibilities of mixing and blending several colors. Here are some pictures of Craig's work... all of this is concrete... floors, back splashes and countertops:


I ordered my AAC block today and it will be delivered Monday. I got a great deal on the block so the next biggie is to learn how to lay it. My new friend Sonny Gonzales who stuccos for a living called and said that coincidentially he was plastering an AAC wall like mine and that he had discovered a stucco product that he really likes and that goes up very quickly. He's appreciative for me getting him some local work and promised to be ready to stucco our Irish cottage in 3 weeks. I guess I better get rid of this gout and learn how to lay AAC block, huh!?

No comments: