Monday, April 21, 2008

AAC blocks arrive... feels like a "donkey" stepped on my toe

Today our AAC block arrived from Ringgold, Georgia. They off-loaded the 28 pallets with a forklift that piggy backs the flatbed truck and is called a "donkey." Unfortunately my gout moved from my right ankle to my right big toe... it feels like the donkey stepped on my toe. As the day progressed the pain increased but I tried to keep working. By day's end I was wishing someone would shoot me and put me out of my misery... I felt BAD!

Getting back to the block: we needed only 20 pallets for our house but Derek at SafeCrete wanted to clear his yard (because they are moving the manufacturing facility to south Georgia) so not only did I get a 50% discounted price... he sent 8 extra pallets. Granted some of the blocks are cracked and chipped but out of 28 pallets I'll be able to finish the house and build Alexis some planters in the front of our Irish cottage.

David Musser and Shane Pickett worked until 2 PM and finished decking the 16' X 20' storage building. They are really doing a GREAT job... I am impressed with their attention to detail. Both are experienced construction workers so we are benefiting from all of their skills.

Here is the donkey coming down the driveway with a pallet.
This is a picture of Terry, the truck driver from SafeCrete, setting two pallets on the slab.
This is the west end of our slab with several pallets of block.Now it's time to learn how to lay AAC block.

No comments: