Tuesday, December 16, 2008

To avoid finishing sheet rock (ugh!) I plumbed today...

It ALL has to be finished eventually but I look for ANY excuse to avoid finishing the sheet rock... it's just SOOOO tedious and I'm NOT good at it. Yesterday I avoided the mud bucket by doing some necessary plumbing and hanging some cabinets in the utility room (wrenching my back in the process). Here is a picture of the plumbing maize behind the bath tub... I hooked up the water to the new tub and redid the toilet supply line (oops, I forgot... I shouldn't have put the valve on before I sheet rock... oh well, it can be cut off and redone later). The shop towels under the connections are to check for leaks/drips in my newly glued joints... there were NO LEAKS!... ooh-rah!:Here's the end result... WATER!... oh, I tested the Jacuzzi and it WORKS... that earns me 50 brownie points with Alexis... you know how women like to soak their tush!?I also hooked up the water line for the kitchen sink (all these pipes will be inside the base cabinets):I should have waited for some help (for my back's sake) but I wanted to surprise Alexis by hanging some cabinets in the utility room (6 wall cabinets and two base cabinets came out of a Vanderbilt Medical Center remodel... I got 'em CHEAP!... less than $200 for all 8 cabinets). These are temporarily hung with just nails. I need to screw them to the wall and remove the 2" X 4." By the end of the week I'll get the white Corian counter top cut for the top surface of the base cabinets... we'll use this area for folding clothes, etc.In the corner to the left of the base cabinets we'll put the "new" CraigsList dryer. We'll put a lint/dryer sheet trash can in the space between them. I also had the BRILLIANT idea of putting a short clothes rod (14") between the wall cabinets on which to hang clothes during ironing or to prevent wrinkles when clothes are first coming out of the dryer.
Howell King, our plumber/electrician extraordinaire, returns this afternoon and we'll work on hooking up the shower hardware, getting the kitchen sink cut in to the counter top and firing off the propane hot water heater. Slowly but surely it's getting done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Straight lines and right angles, all pleasing to the eye.

I know an elderly lady here who, without any building skills, built her house with her own hands -- too poor to do otherwise. She got the essentials right, if not the aesthetics. Or, as she phrases it: "Everything is crooked, but nothing leaks."

Unknown said...

YOU GUYS DESERVE A MEDAL FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK AND PERSEVERANCE. I AM PROUD TO CALL YOU EX COUSIN IN LAW BUT MOSTLY CHRISTIAN BROTHER. LORD WILLIN' WE WILL GET TO SEE THAT BEAUTIFUL IRISH MANSION. ENJOY.
JIM
BY THE WAY THANKS FOR THE CELTIC LADIES-THAT LITTLE BLONDE VIOLIN PLAYER WAS A BEAUT WASN'T SHE.